Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pack It Like You Mean It

{Phuket Day 1 - Lounging By The Pool}

It's travel time for Emma and I at the moment. She's currently in Beijing on a language immersion trip, and I'm on a family holiday in Thailand. So, as a result, our posts this week have been slightly travel-themed. Her last update talked about some of the essential items one must bring when traveling, and in this post, I'm going to discuss how to organize one's suitcase effectively. 

I would like to warn you that I am not a perfect packer. I've only recently begun to improve beyond my tendency to over-pack, and I can rarely fold my items neatly. However, I'll show you the method that I've developed and found to be effective in terms of organizing my suitcase. Using this, I always know where my items are, and so I don't have trouble finding anything when dressing or organizing myself upon arriving at my destination. 

{My Opened Suitcase in Our Hotel}

Some essential items used to organize myself in sections from left to right clockwise: Plastic bag of face washes/perfume bottles, plastic bag of sunscreen (#palegirlprobs), hat, plastic bag of shower items, Estee Lauder makeup bag case holding body + face lotion, Vera Bradley hanging organizer for toiletry items, Herbal Essences Mousse (or other essential haircare items in a sealed container), Juicy Couture small box of some accessories & Cow Skin Printed small clothing bag containing underwear + bandeaus. 
Not Shown: Beneath these cases are my clothes folded into 6 piles by section: Dresses, Shorts, Shirts, Tank Tops, PJ Shorts & PJ Shirts. There is also a small pocket inside the suitcase that holds my swimsuits for the trip. The compartment in the lid of the suitcase contains an extra pair of flip flops and my wedge heels to wear with sundresses. 

I use a really similar format for all of my trips, sometimes with clothes folded into smaller, more compressed shapes to allow for more sections. This is useful during the cold months when going on trips where packing of extra jackets/sweaters/pants is essential. Also, for the same reason, the small cases I use to contain my items may increase/decrease. For instance, I might not bring along sunscreen, but I'll have a separate small clothing bag containing socks. But for the most part, these items stay the same, so I always know what to look for when opening up my bag for a quick change. :) 

I hope you're all having a great start to your summer! 

-H xx

No comments:

Post a Comment