Friday, June 15, 2012

My Latest Craving: Halloumi Cheese

I first discovered this item a few years ago at a Lebanese restaurant. It was served along with other dishes like hummus and falafel with pita bread. I instantly fell in love with it, as it was very unique to other things I'd eaten in the past, but also, what can I say? ...I love cheese. :)

{Grilled Halloumi Cheese}

Halloumi is safe for eating by vegetarians because it is typically prepared using sheep's milk, and is free from rennet. Although I am not a vegetarian, I do tend to migrate towards eating veggies, fruits, cheeses, carbs, etc. Not a huge meat person, though I like a good burger. :) It's also quite healthy, as it contains minimal fat and instead, a pretty good amount of protein.


I've been loving this lately on pita bread with hummus as I mentioned, or I've also discovered its deliciousness (sorry, couldn't come up with a better word) in salads in place of feta as well as on a sandwich with avocado. (The sandwich was at one of my friends and my fave restaurants - "Eat Right")

{Halloumi & Cous Cous Salad}


{Halloumi Burger}

The cheese is tasty, and although I couldn't find the right words to describe it, I felt that this summary from About.com pretty much summed it up:


"Plain, Halloumi is firm, salty and a bit rubbery, perhaps most comparable to a thick feta, though the taste is certainly unique. Cooked, the saltiness fades into a strong savory bite, with a slightly creamy texture."

It is usually served pan-grilled, and from what I've seen, can be paired with almost anything and be super-duper yummy. 

So, that's something I've been loving recently. I highly recommend that you try it, and, if you already have, let me know what you thought in the comments below! I'd also love some new recipe ideas using Halloumi. :) 

Have a great weekend! 

-H xx

~1, 2, 3 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment